Social Relief of Distress

Pertaining to requesting Social Relief of Distress

Social Relief of distress is the temporary supply of aid meant for those whose material requirements are so great that they cannot provide for their families' most basic necessities.

This could be due to the following factors:

What do you get?

Providing food in the form of a food parcel or a food voucher is considered Social Relief of Distress. Some provinces provide this help in the form of money. Only a brief period of time—typically up to three months, which may be extended for an additional three months—is allocated for social distress relief.

What you should do:

  1. Visit the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office closest to you to submit a request for social relief of distress
  2. Include the following documents with your application submission:
  3. If you don't have a birth certificate or identity document, you might be able to prove your claim with an affidavit from the police chief, local police station, council member, or religious leader.
  4. Give evidence that you:

How long does it normally take?

What does it cost?

It's a free service.

Forms to complete

The application form is not accessible online, but you can pick one up at the SASSA office that is closest to you.

Who to contact

South African Social Security Agency (SASSA)